Re: Scratchbuilding a car in styrene

Nelson Moyer

I guess there aren’t  all that many Dutch immigrants in Southern California compared to the Midwest. Here in Iowa, siding that’s vertical with an inward curve and a short flat at the top is Dutch Lap. I have it on my house. CB&Q used it on many of their wood depots, usually on the bottom three to four feet, with board and batten above. The CB&Q depot at Donaldsonville, IA is an example. Clapboard is flat sloping inward from bottom to top.


Nelson Moyer


From: [] On Behalf Of Tony Thompson
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2019 7:09 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Scratchbuilding a car in styrene


Gosh, Nelson, SP called “this stuff” Novelty on their structures . . .

Tony Thompson 

On Apr 15, 2019, at 4:17 PM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

Evergreen Novelty Siding is actually Dutch Lap.


Nelson Moyer


From: [] On Behalf Of Charlie Vlk
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2019 4:13 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Scratchbuilding a car in styrene


Randy Hees and all-

A question not directly related to Freight Cars other than being a load or possibly mislabeled car siding….

One of the cable TV home remodeling shows has an interior designer that has to use what she calls “shiplap” on every project episode…to the point it could be a drinking game of a shot for every time she mentions it.

I always thought “shiplap” was a profile that had overlapping boards like those on a traditional wooden runabout….somewhat akin to clapboard house siding.   The material she calls “shiplap” is to me a form of tongue and groove siding with a small reveal between boards (more than car siding).  

Modern usage of the term is confused as Wikipedia shows a building with “shiplap” that is a form of Novelty Siding….flat faced vertical board with a scalloped top that fits underneath the next board up.

Anyone have old millwork references that might show correct terminology?

Charlie Vlk 

Join to automatically receive all group messages.