Re: Scratchbuilding a car in styrene

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Charlie,
Most of the home improvement “shiplap” images I’ve seen are real more like the tongue and groove siding used on some wood freight and passenger cars.
In the seafaring sense, “shiplap,” is more correctly called “lapstrake” (typically pronounced lap-strack) or “clinker-built.”  The architectural equivalent would be clapboard (sometimes pronounced kla-bord).  So, what you “always thought” is correct.
I suspect some ignorant home improvement guru called it “shiplap,” others liked the name, and the misnomer stuck.  Oh, well . . .
In any event, I don’t know of any instances in which such siding was used on either freight or passenger cars.  Not to say it wasn’t, but I’ve yet to see or hear of examples of it.
Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532


From: Charlie Vlk
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2019 5:12 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Scratchbuilding a car in styrene

Randy Hees and all-

A question not directly related to Freight Cars other than being a load or possibly mislabeled car siding….

One of the cable TV home remodeling shows has an interior designer that has to use what she calls “shiplap” on every project episode…to the point it could be a drinking game of a shot for every time she mentions it.

I always thought “shiplap” was a profile that had overlapping boards like those on a traditional wooden runabout….somewhat akin to clapboard house siding.   The material she calls “shiplap” is to me a form of tongue and groove siding with a small reveal between boards (more than car siding).  

Modern usage of the term is confused as Wikipedia shows a building with “shiplap” that is a form of Novelty Siding….flat faced vertical board with a scalloped top that fits underneath the next board up.

Anyone have old millwork references that might show correct terminology?

Charlie Vlk 

Join to automatically receive all group messages.