Re: Scratchbuilding a car in styrene

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Tony,
I don’t think we really have a disagreement here.  I understand what is being called “shiplap,” but regardless of what it’s called, it has nothing to do with boat or ship building methods.  As such, it is a complete and total misnomer.  As far as I know, it has nothing to do with freight car construction either.
How did we get off onto “shiplap” anyway?
Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532


From: Tony Thompson
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2019 10:53 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Scratchbuilding a car in styrene
Ralph Brown wrote:

In the seafaring sense, “shiplap,” is more correctly called “lapstrake” (typically pronounced lap-strack) or “clinker-built.”  The architectural equivalent would be clapboard (sometimes pronounced kla-bord).  So, what you “always thought” is correct.

    Sorry, Ralph, not so. Clapboard and lap-strake have similarities, but they are NOT the same as shiplap. True shiplap is just a plain board rabbeted top and bottom for a snug fit. That is not true of clapboard. Novelty or Drop siding has a more sculptured overlap, but shiplap has none. Sometimes shiplap is laid with a slight gap between boards (revealing the rabbet) but is normally laid tight.
Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history


Join to automatically receive all group messages.