Re: Scratchbuilding a car in styrene

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 07:45 PM, Ralph W. Brown wrote:
I suspect some ignorant home improvement guru called it “shiplap,” others liked the name, and the misnomer stuck.  Oh, well . . .
No, "shiplap" used to have a specific meaning in the lumber and construction industries, it was lumber with the edges milled with a rabbet on each edge half the width of the edge, so the boards overlapped when laid flat. Nothing was said about how the surface of the board was milled, and shiplap was common on lesser quality boards that were typically used for the sub-flooring under hardwood floors, and sub-siding behind the finish siding. Back in the days before house wraps, the overlapping joints kept out the drafts even if the boards shrank. The home improvement gurus seem to be using the general term for other patterns that provide a rabbet for the top edge, even though the generally accepted term for these patterns was "novelty siding" with different mills having specific names for the pattern of the cut-out reveal: Drop siding, Duch drop, Dolly Varden...

The self covering of the gap at the joint is the reason why the Master Car Builders Association adopted the pattern for flooring and lining of boxcars; if the boards shrank as they dried out, they still wouldn't leak grain from the joints. Several of the mill sections shown in this illustration from the 1922 CBC are shiplap:

Join to automatically receive all group messages.