Re: Throwback Tuesday: Varney Metal Freight Car Kits

To populate my new layout, I pick up freight cars with Kadee couplers at train shows.  I try to keep the average at about $4.00 apiece.  One was a Varney metal box car, at least 65 years old.  It took some doing to get the car to NMRA standards, but it runs fine now, and looks acceptable. – Al Westerfield

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Benjamin Hom
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2019 7:37 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Throwback Tuesday: Varney Metal Freight Car Kits

Lee Thwaits asked:
"My first kits were Varney wood & cardboard & Mantua metal.  When did Varney switch to metal?"

A check of Varney catalogs at HO Seeker shows the wood and cardboard kits (with stamped metal doors and ends and embossed sides) still listed in the 1948 catalog, but the 1950 catalog shows the metal kits.
https://www.hoseeker.net/varneymiscellaneous.html

Ben Hom