Re: is there a prototype for the paint scheme on the Carnation reefer?

Tony Thompson

On Apr 18, 2019, at 1:36 PM, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) wrote:

Hi Richard, Tony, and List Members,

I assume we are trying to compare the Athearn body and paint scheme shown at the link below...

with the Carnation wood reefers shown in the rediculously long link below...

Is that right?

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2019 1:26 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Throwback Thursday: Athearn Rolling Stock Ad, Model Railroader, December 1962

Richard Townsend wrote:

> A question I have asked before, but never gotten a suitable answer: is there a prototype for the paint scheme on the Carnation reefer?

  Certainly not on the Athearn body. There was a similar though not identical scheme on a pre-1934 billboard car. I suspect Athearn winged it on that one, possibly using current Carnation advertising.

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history