Re: is there a prototype for the paint scheme on the Carnation reefer?

Dennis Storzek

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 09:53 PM, Douglas Harding wrote:
with a string of dark colored reefers lettered Carnation.
When I see period photos of reefers where the black lettering disappears into the car side (note there appears to be two lines of lettering under the name) I immediately think orthochromatic film, and assume the sides are really yellow. Orthochromatic film characteristically renders yellows as very dark gray. If the sides were actually painted this dark, the lettering would have been a light color for contrast. I think the cars are really standard 'reefer' yellow with FCR ends (note the end lettering is white).

Dennis StorzekĀ