Re: Throwback Tuesday: Varney Metal Freight Car Kits

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

Are the Varney metal boxcars reasonably close to AAR 1932 standard dimensions? I know they are in many ways crude, and there are better alternatives today (F&C resin and Atlas). Those dimensions would also make the Varney refrigerator cars correct.

If I ever found the State of Maine car at a train show I would probably snap it up. Otherwise, they are not of much use to me. I'm just curious.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 4/19/19 10:21 PM, rwitt_2000 via Groups.Io wrote:
Bob C.

I have the State of Maine one. I was always intrigued by the fact these Varney cars had separate ladders and handholds. Seemed more realistic than the cast-on ones on the all-plastic kits. I recall someone selling the Varney ladders in bulk. I think I purchased several dozen. I still have them somewhere.

Regards,

Bob Witt