Re: [Ry-ops-industrialSIG] Op Sessions

Richard Stern

Jared, et. al.

Sorry for the late response.  Traveling.

I’ve operated the Alma district, it’s very well designed, and I enjoyed the format of the operating session very much.  I’d hate to see it change. 

But I have to agree:  our guys typically ran 3.5-4 hour sessions and now most of them are pretty flogged after 2.5 hours.  I have one knee replacement and another on the way next year, so I really feel it when I’ve been on my feet for a while.  Oddly, standing in one position for a long time is harder than a job where I’m walking around.  I find, though, that if I can sit down (or sit on a stool) for 5 minutes every so often I can get back into it pretty well.  An ample supply of caffeine also helps!

I don’t recall if you have it, but I have found that rubber floor mats (or carpets) make a tremendous difference in how my legs feel after an op session.  I got mine at Sears RIP, but interlocking foam tiles are readily available. 

Several of the guys around here break for a meal halfway through the session.  This can be anything from snacks to pizza to going out to a local restaurant.  (We have a great bar nearby with a 2nd floor patio to watch the adjacent CSX crossing, though I have to say traffic is down since “Precision Railroading” because a thing). 

Another alternative is to just start up the next session wherever the train(s) ended the last one and keep going from there. 

I hope this is helpful.

Rick Stern

From: Ry-ops-industrialSIG@groups.io <Ry-ops-industrialSIG@groups.io> On Behalf Of dehusman
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2019 9:10 PM
To: Ry-ops-industrialSIG@groups.io; Proto-Layouts@groups.io; REALSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Ry-ops-industrialSIG] Op Sessions

Some people solutions, some process solutions.

1.  Break the session into two parts.  However, you have ruled out that solution already.

2.  Reduce the train size or business levels so you take only 2-3 hours to make the run.

3.  Find a younger crew.

4.  Operate faster.  Real railroads in the steam days didn't creepeth and crawleth like modern railroads do.  Many steam engines didn't have speedometers.

5.  If it was a prototype crew like the ones I know they would have done the vast majority of any work they could do on the out trip and run for the roses on the trip back.

6.  Do the billing so that you favor switching in one direction more than the other on alternating session.  75% facing on even months, 75% trailing on odd months, that will reduce the switching time.

Dave Husman

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.