Re: [Ry-ops-industrialSIG] Op Sessions

Richard Stern

Jared, et. al.

Sorry for the late response.  Traveling.

I’ve operated the Alma district, it’s very well designed, and I enjoyed the format of the operating session very much.  I’d hate to see it change.

But I have to agree:  our guys typically ran 3.5-4 hour sessions and now most of them are pretty flogged after 2.5 hours.  I have one knee replacement and another on the way next year, so I really feel it when I’ve been on my feet for a while.  Oddly, standing in one position for a long time is harder than a job where I’m walking around.  I find, though, that if I can sit down (or sit on a stool) for 5 minutes every so often I can get back into it pretty well.  An ample supply of caffeine also helps!

I don’t recall if you have it, but I have found that rubber floor mats (or carpets) make a tremendous difference in how my legs feel after an op session.  I got mine at Sears RIP, but interlocking foam tiles are readily available.

Several of the guys around here break for a meal halfway through the session.  This can be anything from snacks to pizza to going out to a local restaurant.  (We have a great bar nearby with a 2nd floor patio to watch the adjacent CSX crossing, though I have to say traffic is down since “Precision Railroading” because a thing).

Another alternative is to just start up the next session wherever the train(s) ended the last one and keep going from there.

I hope this is helpful.

Rick Stern