Painting a real wood reefer kit.

Scott

I am building an old wood 40ft DRGW NG reefer kit.  The body is entirely wood.  The directions say to paint body first, then apply details, then touch up paint.  Makes sense to protect the wood from oils and dirt from soaking in before painting I suppose.  Besides a few wood running boards I have never painted an entire wood car.  I would assume I would need an oil based paint so it doesn't raise the grain.  I am wondering if I can use Scale coat 1 without a primer or should I spray it with Tamiya Fine then Scale coat 1?

Thanks
Scott McDonald