Re: Details On The Road

Michael Gross

Thanks for your comments, but this is an idea I recall seeing demonstrated by Bill Welch, George Toman, or some other fine modeler.  I used Details Associates WR 2502 .008 brass wire, and flattened it using a combination of the two pliers pictured here:  a Sears Craftsman flat needle-nose plier, and the other a 'Bead Landing' round-nosed plier I found among the bead making tools at Michael's craft store.  It's a bit tedious to work one's way along the wire, flattening it as you go, but these were the only tools I took on the road.  It would be interesting to see if the wire could could be flattened more quickly with one blow of a hammer, and I intend to give that a try when I return home.  (Be advised, the flattened brass wire is extremely delicate and breakable, and I must have tried this eight or ten times to get four workable pieces.)

Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA