Re: Details On The Road

Michael Gross

A good thought, Jim, and in future I might experiment with annealing the brass wire before or after it is flattened.  My suspicion is that the delicacy of the flattened wire has more to do with its extremely thin cross section, and that annealing may not help much.  Bear in mind that the process of hardening and annealing brass is exactly the reverse of that used with steel:  brass is hardened when it is heated and allowed to cool slowly; it is softened or annealed when heated and cooled suddenly.

Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA