Re: CNW gondola underside

Larry Smith

There is a good chance the cars originated here in Birmingham from ABC Coke works.  They are now owned by Drummond Coal out of Jasper, AL.  I saw a lot of these cars parked at the plant in Tarrent many years ago.  Yes they did have a lot of different varieties of them

Larry Smith

On Monday, April 29, 2019, 1:16:07 PM CDT, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

L&N coke box car. The L&N rebuilt a variety of cars for coke service. My Dad photographed
one in Pueblo Colorado (CF&I Steel) in the late 1960's. They probably also made it to Provo,
to the USS Geneva works. Met coal & coke from east of the Mississippi was a common sight in
Colorado, even to the very end of steel making in Colorado.

Tim O'Connor

On 4/29/2019 1:26 PM, Brian Termunde via Groups.Io wrote:
Some nice stuff on the site. You can click on the "X" in the upper right to get to thumbnails of the photos.

In doing so, I came across one car and I was wondering if it is the prototype of Walthers "Jailbox" car?

https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/Ed-Wilkommen-Collection/Freight-Cars/i-6Mf2Vm5/A

And Thanks for sharing the link Gary!

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde