Re: NJI&I Boxcar

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Peter,

I don't know the answer to your question, but it would be quite a while. Each of the two cars chained to the floor would have to be unchained, then worked out with a swiveling jack. Then the two cars in the diagonal racks would be lowered, unchained, and likewise worked out the door with the jack. How long might depend on how many men there were to do tasks simultaneously, but I would expect at least an hour or more per boxcar.

The car in question is a apparently in a parts pool, so the above does not apply. If "GM-1" is correct as was suggested, then it probably means "General Motors pool #1". Likely it had racks for some sort of sub-assemblies, say frames, motors, transmissions, body stampings, etc. The ends on this car mark it as 10' IH. This number does not show in my 1958 ORER, and likely post-dates our period, at least as an NJI&I-lettered car.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 4/29/19 5:03 PM, Peter Hall wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how long would it take to load or unload autos into or out of an automobile box car equipped with auto racks, in the 1945-1950 era?

Thanks
Pete

On Apr 29, 2019, at 12:48 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Either an appliance or automobile parts pool assignment. Usually a good indicator that the
car has special equipment or loading devices - could be as simple as pallets that stayed with
the car. In the auto industry the pool assignment stencils were frequently changed.

Tim O'Connor

On 4/29/2019 4:23 AM, Garth Groff wrote:
Friends,

While skimming through the Ed Wilkommen photos, I noted this view which included an NJI&I boxcar: https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/Ed-Wilkommen-Collection/Freight-Cars/i-r5ZmB9k/A . Besides being a rather rare roadname in its own right, I was struck by the initials above the reporting marks. They look like "GN-I" or GH-I". Any comments about what they mean?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Sterling, Massachusetts