Phillips Petroleum LNG and PPG gas tank cars.

Donald B. Valentine

Hi folks,

    During my late 1940's modeling period Phillips Petroleum cars were seen quite often on the trackage of the former Connecticut & Passumpsic Rivers RR between white River Junction & Newport, Vermont. In that period the track north of Wells River, roughly the half way point, was owned by the CPR which bought it in 1946 after leasing it since 1926, while that south of Wells River was
by the Boston & Maine. It was also jointly operated with both railroads providing equipment and crews. Phil Hastings took photos
in this area often, being raised in Bradford on the B&M section of the line. Over the years Phil provided me with a number of photos
of operations in the area, a couple of which show the Phillips Petroleum cars. All of them appear to have been for LNG or LPG and
of the ICC 105A300W or 104A types. I know #15001 was an 11,000 gal. car of Type 104A and believe it was originally constructed in Sept. 1927. Most of these cars were painted completely black with white lettering and a large "Philgas" painted on the right end of the tank. Does anyone have any further information on these cars, especially where they were coming from or going to? There were over 600 at least similar cars owned or leased by Phillips that carried PSPX reporting marks with the majority being 11,000 gal. cars, some being 10,500 gal, and a very few being of lesser or different capacity. If any of these cars prove to be very close to either the Broadway or Atlas tank cars of this type my intent is to lobby them to produce some. Yeah, I know, go kick a hydrant, bit I've had some luck with both previously.

Cordially, Don Valentine