From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann
Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2019 3:25 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] There were not a lot of 50 foot boxcars around in 1929

Indeed, that is an Illinois Central 50-foot automobile boxcar. I don’t know why it lacks doors. CB&Q is to the right and a partial UP car finishes the 50-foot cars.

The weathering variations on the cars in this image is also very interesting.

Just a couple cars to the left of the IC boxcar is a BR&P boxcar. This, and a companion negative with another BR&P boxcar, are two of the only late 1920s images I’ve seen featuring a BR&P car. IIRC, the Van Sweringens owned the BR&P at this time.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On May 5, 2019, at 2:56 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

There were not a lot of 50 foot boxcars around in 1929, but there were some.

Here is a nice view of three different ones, all gathered together at the extreme right side of the image, taken in 1929.

Too bad the negative has some damage, and the film resolution is not quite where we can make out the road numbers. I think the rightmost one (partial view only) is Union Pacific, the next one moving left might be CB&Q, but I cannot quite make out the other with the fishbelly underframe, maybe it is Illiniois Central? Thoughts?

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund