Re: There were not a lot of 50 foot boxcars around in 1929

Eric Lombard

Hello, again...

Curiosity led me to see what my database could produce for "50" ft cars built before the end of 1929. I searched: New-built series; Inside length between 45-0 and 50-9; and in service 1928 or built new 1929. the data come from equipment diagrams, the ORER, the ICC valuations, and various government, railroad, model, and historical publications.

The resulting output, 18,841 cars in 63 Series sorted by build date is attached. The build dates in the form 1-19xx are place holders. The year is documented but not the month. the data are reduced from the complete data set available for each series.

There are some interesting series! One complete with the rara avis VanDorn ends. The ascendancy of steel underframes, vertical brake wheels,steel ends trucks  can be picked out.

Enjoy

On Sun, May 5, 2019 at 2:56 PM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:
Hi List Members,

There were not a lot of 50 foot boxcars around in 1929, but there were some.

Here is a nice view of three different ones, all gathered together at the extreme right side of the image, taken in 1929.

Too bad the negative has some damage, and the film resolution is not quite where we can make out the road numbers. I think the rightmost one (partial view only) is Union Pacific, the next one moving left might be CB&Q, but I cannot quite make out the other with the fishbelly underframe, maybe it is Illiniois Central? Thoughts?

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund