SOUTHERN PACIFIC B-50-25 - ACCURATE MODEL

Andy Carlson

Bill-
DO NOT CUT DOWN a CB&T shops car. Lot of work for a poor result.

The SP 12 panel needs an extra 8-rung ladder, as the IM kits followed the GN's use of a 7-rung end ladder with a drop grab used for the 1st (bottom) step. The doors are wrong, but South West Scale models has 3 doors which are correct for the SP 12 panels. The kit's trucks need replacing-many SP cars used A-3 ride controls. You will need replacement steel running boards and different power brake set(s).
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Monday, May 6, 2019, 11:37:17 AM PDT, WILLIAM PARDIE <PARDIEW001@...> wrote:

A while back Speedwitch offered a kit for the Southern Pacific B-50-25 12 panel boxcar.  Comments at the time as well as in the Speedwitch instructions
indicated that the car was not totally accurate as the car body in the kit was an Intermountain 12 panel boxcar based on a Great Nofrthern prototype.

Years earlier Richard Hendrickson did an article in (I believe) Rail Model Journal on cutting down a taller CB&T 12 panel boxcar in order to do thie B-50-25.
When I look at p;rototype photos the discrepancy seem to be in the panel seems.  Would cutting down a CB&T car and combining it with the Speedwitch parts
result in a more accurate model?

Thanks in advance for any help:

Bill Pardie