Re: ex-ATSF Class Fe-13 Auto Boxcars on the StJ&LC (was There were not a lot of 50 foot boxcars around in 1929)

Donald B. Valentine

Thank you Ben,

    Learning that these cars were rebuilt from double sheathed cars makes snese and probably should have been though of
on my part before. As a double sheathed car the reason for the underframe being so heavy becomes apparent even if it looks
like they went overboard on this group! Does anyone know when tey were rebuilt, when the went to the DT&I and when and
how many went to the St. J. & L.C.? None are listed inn the Oct 1976 ORER, the latest one I have, but #3043 and #3052 are
listed in the Jan. 1973 issue when Sam Pinsly still owned the St. J. There were 64 cars of the same description, #3000 -
#3063 listed in the Jan. 1962 ORER when Sam Pinsly's cousin H.E. Salzberg owned the St. J. so it appears they must has
been purchased around that time. That surprises me, however, as I was here attending college at that time, saw a St. J. train almost every week day, often road the switcher from Morrisville to the talc mill in Johnson or just road while the talc mill was being switched out and have no recollection of ever seeing any of these cars then, only the converted single sheathed, open top box cars
then used for limestone loading in Swanton for shipment to paper mills in Maine that the low sided Maine Central #17,000 series gondolas had been used for in steam days.

Cordially, Don Valentine