Re: There were not a lot of 50 foot boxcars around in 1929

Tim O'Connor

Don

I photographed the car all over (except the roof) in the early 1990's and sent prints to Martin Lofton,
hoping that Sunshine would be interested in doing these.

I, too, was very impressed by that massive underframe. I took a number of pictures of that!

Tim O'Connor

On 5/7/2019 4:21 PM, Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io wrote:
Thank you Tim,

    My memory is getting fuzzy as these are exactly the cars I was thinking of. For some reason this morning I was thinking they were still single sheathed rather than rebuilt from such. You are also correct about them going to the DT&I first as I also remember
the DT&I compass emblem showing through on the right end of each side but couldn't think how it was on the car when thinking
they were still single sheathed this morning. Does anyone have a photo of these cars as built or at least when still Santa Fe equipment? They must have been rather interesting as built also with that very heavy underframe.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Sterling, Massachusetts