Re: B&O C-16 Question

Nelson Moyer

Yes, but the Custom Finishing (B-179) bracket used by some modelers is no longer available unless you find one in a hobby shop somewhere. It wasn’t correct for the Q, anyway, so the only option  now is to scatchbuild them. Here’s the basic data.

RPC Volume 6, p. 12

Burlington Bulletin No. 7

XM-33

50 ft. single door boxcars built in 1941

8500-8549

Allied trucks

50 operational in 1952

Painted Pullman green with white lettering in 1944

Fitted with steam, air, signal hoses to run in passenger trains

Wood running boards

Dreadnaught ends

Murphy rectangular panel roof

Camel corrugated 8 ft. doors

Straight side sills

As you can see, I misspoke re gold lettering. I was thinking of the converted troop kitchens (also from Walthers) that I’m working on to convert open window versions into CB&Q BE-1s. That entailed casting new ends and roof modifications. Walthers offered both the open window and plated window versions, but the open window was the original version with diaphragms. The Q removed the diaphragms, and plated the end windows, while leaving the side windows open for a few years before plating them over as well. Both plated and open ran in 1953. You could add a Q troop kitchen, since they traveled widely in storage mail service, mostly catalogs, colanders, magazines, etc.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Matthew Hurst
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 9:35 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] B&O C-16 Question

I am modeling October 1946- April 1947.  I think the XM-33 would work for my time period. They also had marker light brackets on them to...didn't they?

I'll shoot you some photos of the PRR X29s I did up for REA service.  I built 12 and have 2 more to finish....Yeah I'm nuts!  But the PRR ran REA trains with blocks of X29s....sometimes numbering 10-15 in one train! Needless to say...very interesting seeing passenger power pulling a pseudo freight train!

Matthew Hurst

On Tue, May 7, 2019, 9:26 PM Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

Depending on the year(s) you model, the Walthers P2K 12 panel 50 foot boxcar is a dead ringer for CB&Q XM-33 express boxcars. I bought four lettered for SP, stripped and repainted them Pullman green, decaled them with gold lettering, replaced the flimsy plastic sill steps with YMW etched sill steps, and installed Athearn Allied trucks to make four XM-33 express boxcars.

As for the X29s, I have pre-ordered six Red Caboose undecorated kits, some of which will be painted and lettered for freight service and some for express service. I know about the NYC, PRR, and C&O cars in Q trains, but I didn’t know about SAL.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Matthew Hurst
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 7:04 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io; main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] B&O C-16 Question

You are welcome Nelson.  Anything I can do to help anyone grow there rolling stock fleet!

Of course you will NEED some PRR X29s in REA service, in your consists as well. I know I need a CB&Q car in at least one of my REA/express trains on the PRR.

Also, I have also seen Seaboard REA cars show up in CB&Q trains as well. 

Who says these cars didn't get around?!?!?!?!

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.