Re: B&O C-16 Question

Nelson Moyer

Yes, but the Custom Finishing (B-179) bracket used by some modelers is no longer available unless you find one in a hobby shop somewhere. It wasn’t correct for the Q, anyway, so the only option  now is to scatchbuild them. Here’s the basic data.

RPC Volume 6, p. 12

Burlington Bulletin No. 7

XM-33

50 ft. single door boxcars built in 1941

8500-8549

Allied trucks

50 operational in 1952

Painted Pullman green with white lettering in 1944

Fitted with steam, air, signal hoses to run in passenger trains

Wood running boards

Dreadnaught ends

Murphy rectangular panel roof

Camel corrugated 8 ft. doors

Straight side sills

As you can see, I misspoke re gold lettering. I was thinking of the converted troop kitchens (also from Walthers) that I’m working on to convert open window versions into CB&Q BE-1s. That entailed casting new ends and roof modifications. Walthers offered both the open window and plated window versions, but the open window was the original version with diaphragms. The Q removed the diaphragms, and plated the end windows, while leaving the side windows open for a few years before plating them over as well. Both plated and open ran in 1953. You could add a Q troop kitchen, since they traveled widely in storage mail service, mostly catalogs, colanders, magazines, etc.

Nelson Moyer