From: Tom Madden via Groups.Io <pullmanboss@...>
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, May 8, 2019 11:54 pm
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] ex-ATSF Class Fe-13 Auto Boxcars on the StJ&LC (was There were not a lot of 50 foot boxcars around in 1929)

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 10:55 AM, Donald B. Valentine wrote:
What became of all the masters for the Sunshine Models?  [snip]  It is a shame that someone cannot acquire them and offer the Sunshine
Kits again.
Original patterns for flat casting can take a real beating so it's really moot where they are now. And in most cases they need to be reworked to bring them up to the detail level we've come to expect today. We've discussed this before - the pattern makers retained the rights to the patterns. Frank Hodina (Resin Car Works) has re-introduced a  number of models formerly offered by Sunshine, but in each case first generation flat resin castings were extensively reworked and redetailed to create new one-piece body patterns. The IC chisel side hopper, GN composite wood sheathed boxcar (patterns by Frank) and Santa Fe Rr-35/36/39/40 reefer (patterns by Charlie Slater) have been reintroduced. Also the 8000 gallon insulated tank car. Sunshine's version was a bear to assemble, so the RCW kit is based on completely new patterns.

Al Westerfield was fortunate to find a capable and competent buyer for his product line in Andrew Dahm. Al was also able to work with Andrew for an extended period of time to get Andrew up to speed. This latter is critically important, and of course it wasn't possible with Sunshine. I think that, as much as anything, is why the Sunshine line wasn't picked up.

Tom Madden