Re: Tangent Tank Car Additions

vapeurchapelon

Beautyful car, no doubt!
But do you have installed plastic wheels? The flanges do look much larger than regular RP25s.

Best regards

Johannes
Modeling the early post-war years up to about 1953

Gesendet: Freitag, 10. Mai 2019 um 00:24 Uhr
Von: "Michael Gross" <ActorMichaelGross@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: [RealSTMFC] Tangent Tank Car Additions
Because I keep breaking things, I end up doing more detailing on a ready-to-run car than I otherwise might, and the Tangent 3-dome tank is a perfect example.

It's a beautiful model right out of the box but, no sooner had I begun the weathering process than I broke one of the fragile corner sill steps.  Santa Fe modeler friend Peter Aue offered to make a new set of etched brass replacements and, after breaking two more of the sill steps, they came in handy.  (These are now available as Yarmouth Model Words part YMW-220). One improved detail often leads to another, and I soon found myself carving away major parts of the brake detail and replacing it with brass wire, clevises (Tichy #8021) and brake chain (A-Line #29219).  Original hoses were replace with Hi-Tech details 22" hoses, with new brackets fashioned from brass strap stock.

Still need to paint the new parts, install semi-scale wheel sets, apply warning placards, and reattach part of the valve I knocked off on the far left dome.  Weathering to follow.

What began as a simple weathering job became—owing to my clumsiness—so much more.

Cheers!

Michael Gross
On the road - Lake Tahoe, NV

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.