Re: Describing your hobby

Tom Madden

I try to avoid using the word "trains" in a first reply. I say "I'm a railroad historian" and see where that leads. If pressed, I'll say i do research which gives me the opportunity to travel and give presentations. If you've ever gone to an RPM meet, even if you've not given a clinic, some variation of this approach get's you out of the "playing with trains" arena. If someone wants to go deeper, I try to work 3D printing into the conversation. Even if you're not involved in it, mentioning the application of 3D printing or other advanced technologies to our hobby will give you the conversational upper hand and, often, pique someone's interest and lead to a really rewarding conversation. Which is the point, right?

Tom Madden