Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Unloading Airplane Engines
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Date: Monday, May 20, 2019, 9:25 PM

On 5/20/2019
11:58 AM, Bob Chaparro via
Groups.Io wrote:

An
undated photo. Note
the packaging of the propellers.
https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth41072/?q=railroad
Perhaps
one of our
airplane experts can tell us what kind of engines
these are.

Bob,

The look like Pratt and Whitney Twin Wasp radial engines
for the
Consolidated B-24 bomber used extensively in Europe
during the later
part of WWII.

https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/news/features/history/b-24.html

Scroll down on this page to see a photo and description
of the
engine mounted on the plane.

http://www.aviation-history.com/consolidated/b24.html

I am making an educated guess. since the photo is
credited to
Lockheed Martin, Fort Worth, Texas. Consolidated was
absorbed into
Lockheed and the B-24 was built in Fort Worth, among
several other
locations. The oval shape of the nacelle was evocative
of the B-24.
The propellers are clearly three bladed. I would guess
that the
photo was taken in 1943.

Spen Kellogg