Re: hi tech HO air hoses

Jack Burgess

Nelson has a good summary which seems to be the same as my experience. Keep in mind that the air hose needs to be installed tipped toward the coupler at a 30 degree angle, not straight down.

Jack Burgess

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Nelson Moyer
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 3:27 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] hi tech HO air hoses

I’ve used then since they were first introduced with the Precision Scale bracket. The PS brackets have dimple for starting the bit, but the castings aren’t always complete at the U-bolt, so I ‘ve lost a few by drilling through the side of the U-bolt. Start the hole with a #79 bit, then move up to a #77, then a #76. The air pipe on the air hose sometimes has a casting line with flash that interferes with threading it through the U-bold. I ‘ve cut off the flash with a double edge razor blade, which has a thinner blade and is sharper than a single edge razor blade. If the flash is minimal, I taper the end of the air pipe slightly to get it started while threading it into the U-bolt. I bought some YMW air hose brackets to try, but I haven’t used any yet. The detail is better on PS brackets, but the YMW brackets look like it would be easier to thread the air pipe since the hole is drilled before bending, and the metal isn’t as hard to drill.

Anybody want to buy a large supply of Kadee plastic air hoses cheap?

Nelson Moyer