Re: Early Southern Pacific Fruit Cars

Tony Thompson

Bob Chaparro wrote:

These photos are from the Jeff Stein Collection. He wrote, "These four SP “reefers” we’re built by the Ensign Manufacturing Co. of Huntington, West Virginia, in the late 1800s.
The Ensign Manufacturing Co. eventually became the American Car and Foundry Co. (ACF), which is still building railcars today."
https://tinyurl.com/yyq69r22 (Morgan's Louisiana & Texas R.R.)

   Only two of them are refrigerators. The other two are ventilated fruit cars, of which the SP system had hundreds. These are good photos, different from the views of these car types in my Volume 4 on Southern Pacific Box Cars.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history