Re: Removing car numbers on Walthers cars.

Drew M.

Scott,
  In a back issue of Model Railroad Hobbyist in Ken Patterson's column he shared a tip on a Walthers locomotive he renumbered. He used Solvaset and Scotch tape. I vaguely recall he applied the Solvaset to the number, allowed it to dry and then pressed the tape on the number and removed the tape. I have not tried this technique so I can't say how well it works.

Drew in Philly

Sent from TypeApp

On May 23, 2019, at 18:07, Scott <repairman87@...> wrote:
Hello,

Anybody have any tips or tricks to remove only the road numbers on a Walthers Boxcar.  I will give Walthers credit that paint is tough as nails.

I have tried the following:

Micro-sol trick which the paint laughed at and didnt budge.

Isopropyl Alcohol which kind of worked.  Have to press really hard to get it to budge and really easy to go through color paint.  The numbers came off eventually but you could still see them raised in the paint.

Scale coat thinner which took off the color and number.

Has anybody used Scalecoat wash away to remove just letters?  Little nervous to try soda blasting.  I really dont want to repaint the entire car just to change the road number.

Scott McDonald