Re: DL&W 40' Rebuilt Automobile Boxcars were they ever converted to Auto Parts ?

Benjamin Hom

Eric Thur asked:
"I am trying to get information on DL&W 11500 series Auto Boxcars re-built 35-37. These cars had Auto Racks installed when built, but my question is, Were the Auto racks ever removed and the cars used for Auto Parts loads?  If so, what year were the Auto Racks removed? Were Parts racks installed?  Did the ""AUTOMOBILE"  lettering get painted out at any point or  did it remain? I was interested in Building Yarmouth Kit  YMW-115, but want to build a late 1940's version.  The Kit is lettered " As Built" Mid-1930's. I am unable to find any photo's of this car later than 1939 on line, so I have no idea what lettering scheme these cars had 1940-1950."

To verify special handling equipment, get an ORER for the time you wish to model and consult the notes section in the DL&W listings for that car series.

Ben Hom