Re: DL&W 40' Rebuilt Automobile Boxcars were they ever converted to Auto Parts ?

Guy Wilber

Eric,

The cars are included within the 11300-11599 series in October, 1950.  All were equipped with Type “E” Evans Auto Loaders with 12 floor tie down chain tubes, or a combination of tubes and internal floor “U” brackets.  The cars had the same configuration in January of 1945...I would “guess” that the Loaders were upgraded from an earlier loader design as the “E” was not available when they were rebuilt in 1935-37.  They were likely upgraded prior to WW II, but I can’t confirm that.  There’s a chance those loaders were changed near the end of the War as the Type “E” design was a common install for 40 foot auto cars.

Mike Delvechio would be your definitive source.

Regards,

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

On May 24, 2019, at 7:05 AM, Eric Thur <prrtrainguy@...> wrote:

I am trying to get information on DL&W  11500 series Auto Boxcars re-built 35-37. These cars had Auto Racks installed when built, but my question is, Were the Auto racks ever removed and the cars used for Auto Parts loads?  If so, what year were the Auto Racks removed? Were Parts racks installed?  Did the ""AUTOMOBILE"  lettering get painted out at any point or  did it remain? I was interested in Building Yarmouth Kit  YMW-115, but want to build a late 1940's version.  The Kit is lettered " As Built" Mid-1930's. I am unable to find any photo's of this car later than 1939 on line, so I have no idea what lettering scheme these cars had 1940-1950.

 Any Information would help,

 Thank You

 Eric Thur