Re: Printing White Decals

Nelson Moyer

InkJet ink is water soluble, so you have to seal the decals after printing. I’ve used Krylon Krystal Clear, but that makes them stiff and it takes several application of Micro Sol to get them to settle down over rivets. Some use Micro Liquid decal Film. As long as you don’t cut too close to the ink, the decals handle like regular decals. Laser printed decals don’t require sealing, but they will bleed a little if exposed to water too long. I seal them the same way I seal ink jet decals.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeff
Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2019 7:53 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Printing White Decals

So having acquired the toner, is it just a case of printing your text/design on decal paper, cutting it out and doing the wet-slide thing?

I tried inkjet decals once, and there was a fixative... and let's just say it was a useless mess.

Jeff Shultz

On Sun, May 26, 2019, 14:57 Garth Groff <sarahsan@...> wrote:

Friends,

If you haven't been there, check the Ghost White web site at https://www.ghost-white-toner.com/ghost-white-toner-transfer-for-everyone/ . It appears that their cartridges fit various HP, Oki and Samsung laser printers. Actually, if you have the right printer already, the cost may not be prohibitive, with cartridges for some printers at around $120. For professional machines the cost can be over $1,000. There is a search feature which matches their products to various printers.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 5/26/19 1:37 PM, A&Y Dave in MD wrote:

This is my hobby. I couldn’t make enough at decals to compete with my day job. I have done special runs for friends at cost and supported the Carolina RPM with the Southern vent boxcar, but have no interest in a second career. I’ve seen what that can do to people.

 I bought a $200 printer and a $200 (with shipping from Germany) cartridge and i’m set for life.  I have printed about 30 8x11 sheets of decals so far and i haven’t gone below 95% full on cartridge. Some cannot afford $400 for all the custom white decals you’ll need, but for about a DCC sound loco cost, i felt it was worth the advantage to add a second number to a commercial car like the Kadee boxcar or create accurate 1934 era data and lettering.  I was looking to replace my ALPS and those are not made or supported commercially any more. The Ghost White AND printer was less than my investment in track/switches or DCC system or a single locomotive. Seems worth it to have my fleet of steam era cars be equally accurate.

Btw there is a US source for Ghost White now, so shipping will be less.

David Bott, modeling the A&Y in '34