Printing white and black together, was: Results, Super Clean Degreaser to remove lettering

Paul Woods <paul@...>

Hi Everyone

Thank you to all the contributors to these threads concerning white toner and printing decals; I have learned a lot!  It has been very timely as I purchased a ghost white cartridge for my HP laser printer quite a while ago, though I have not reached the stage of needing to use it just yet.  Because I am working in larger scales (1:32, 1:13.7) I deemed the ability to print my own decals to be a worthwhile investment.  I have been procrastinating over getting started but reading about others' experiences has sure lit a fire under my derriere!

Question: has anyone tried printing over a decal film that has already been printed on?  I am happy to give it a go but it's always worth asking in case someone has gone down this path before.  As an NYC fan, I have been puzzling over how to create the oval logo with its white text over black background, and it only dawned on me today that it might be possible to print black ovals then put the white cartridge into the printer and over-print the same sheet with the white outline and text.  Register between passes shouldn't matter since it is only a big black patch that the white portion is aiming to hit - just make the black patch slightly larger than required.  It would have the advantage of allowing a complete set (e.g. for a freight car) to be printed on one sheet of clear film, potentially avoiding the need to purchase white decal film for printing the logos separately.  Your thoughts welcomed.

I briefly considered using two layers of clear film, one carrying the white and one carrying the black, but I think it would be too much of a fiddle to line everything up and the double-thickness might stand out too much. Perhaps it might be a weapon of last resort if the register of colours was critical.

Regards
Paul Woods

Whangarei, NZ