Re: (Not A Freight Car) Slanted Loading Dock

Donald B. Valentine

     The slight slope on that dock makes perfect sense to me, Bob. Most docks I have seen were
wood and uncovered but if concrete is used and it is covered why not use a slight slope so that any
wind borne rain that blows in can drain easily. But the heck with the dock, LOOK at that neat DL&W
boxcar! Note not only the Carmer cut levers but the neat castings to prevent the nuts on the ends of
the truss rods from cutting into the wood. The two more central ones do not need these because they
come through the end of the casting forming the upper part of the coupler pocket and shared by the
ends of both. And once again look at the board through the turnbuckles to lock them in place and
keep them from losing tension from vibration as I pointed out in another such photo a year or two a
ago here. Wood ladder stiles, simple wrought iron rungs and note the cut out in the fascia for the
retainer. Just wish I could see the beam a little better that the queen posts are mountedon. What
a neat car! I'd love to see a Kadee quality version of this one and would quickly buy 4 or 5.

Cordially, Don Valentine