Re: (Not A Freight Car) Slanted Loading Dock

Eric Hansmann

DL&W 31830 is among the 31000-33999 series listed in the October 1926 ORER. These were 30-ton capacity cars with 1,806 cars in service. In the historic Lackawanna photo, we can see two truss rods attached to the end sills.

I'm not entirely certain if these cars have a steel centersill or underframe. The ORER listing is inconclusive as there are no ditto marks to continue the Steel Underframe note through several 30-ton capacity boxcar series. The ditto appears under Box on an earlier entry but not Steel Underframe.

The car ends are interesting and make these shortys stand out but I've seen few of them off line. Based upon the light rating and possibly lack of a steel centersill, I think these boxcars may have been used for LCL and Company service during the 1920s on the Lackawanna. The car is sitting at a company facility as the negative is marked "Site of inspection shed DL&W electrification at Hoboken."

http://lists.railfan.net/erielack-photo/erielack-05-26-19/X6991.jpg

FYI, there are 6,837 30-ton capacity boxcars in adjacent car series that are listed as Box in the 1926 ORER. The data offers no clear indication of a steel underframe. Many other DL&W listings are marked as Box, Steel Underframe, including quite a few more 30-ton cars.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN