Re: (Not A Freight Car) Slanted Loading Dock

Eric Hansmann

DL&W 31830 is among the 31000-33999 series listed in the October 1926 ORER. These were 30-ton capacity cars with 1,806 cars in service. In the historic Lackawanna photo, we can see two truss rods attached to the end sills.

I'm not entirely certain if these cars have a steel centersill or underframe. The ORER listing is inconclusive as there are no ditto marks to continue the Steel Underframe note through several 30-ton capacity boxcar series. The ditto appears under Box on an earlier entry but not Steel Underframe.

The car ends are interesting and make these shortys stand out but I've seen few of them off line. Based upon the light rating and possibly lack of a steel centersill, I think these boxcars may have been used for LCL and Company service during the 1920s on the Lackawanna. The car is sitting at a company facility as the negative is marked "Site of inspection shed DL&W electrification at Hoboken."

http://lists.railfan.net/erielack-photo/erielack-05-26-19/X6991.jpg

FYI, there are 6,837 30-ton capacity boxcars in adjacent car series that are listed as Box in the 1926 ORER. The data offers no clear indication of a steel underframe. Many other DL&W listings are marked as Box, Steel Underframe, including quite a few more 30-ton cars.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2019 6:33 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] (Not A Freight Car) Slanted Loading Dock

The slight slope on that dock makes perfect sense to me, Bob. Most docks I have seen were

wood and uncovered but if concrete is used and it is covered why not use a slight slope so that any

wind borne rain that blows in can drain easily. But the heck with the dock, LOOK at that neat DL&W

boxcar! Note not only the Carmer cut levers but the neat castings to prevent the nuts on the ends of

the truss rods from cutting into the wood. The two more central ones do not need these because they

come through the end of the casting forming the upper part of the coupler pocket and shared by the

ends of both. And once again look at the board through the turnbuckles to lock them in place and

keep them from losing tension from vibration as I pointed out in another such photo a year or two a

ago here. Wood ladder stiles, simple wrought iron rungs and note the cut out in the fascia for the

retainer. Just wish I could see the beam a little better that the queen posts are mountedon. What

a neat car! I'd love to see a Kadee quality version of this one and would quickly buy 4 or 5.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.