Re: (Not A Freight Car) Slanted Loading Dock

Dennis Storzek

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 06:17 PM, Eric Hansmann wrote:

http://lists.railfan.net/erielack-photo/erielack-05-26-19/X6994.jpg

Well that photo certainly makes clear the amount of pitch of the loading dock. Look at the piles of boxes on the dock, and how out of plumb they are sitting.

Now that we can see the whole arrangement, I wonder if that isn't the oil house for the whole facility. Back in those days the philosophy was drainage rather than spill containment, and that pitch would certainly have any spills draining out onto the ground rather than pooling on the floor. Steamtown National Historic Site in Scranton has preserved a DL&W oil house that they use as a book store; it's one of the few original buildings on the site. I recall it has a loading dock, but I don't recall the pitch of the floor, nor can I find a photo of it.

Dennis StorzekĀ