Re: Rapido USRA 40-ton Boxcar

Dennis Storzek

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 06:35 PM, William Hirt wrote:
These were the only CB&Q boxcars with Andrews trucks when purchased new. They did buy Andrews trucks new for their composite gondolas and used them to replace trucks on other equipment as necessary. One prominent example was the USRA style gondolas which the Q did like and built a lot of them in their own shops (over 6,000) for especially coal service.

Thanks. David Thompson's comment that the trucks on the USRA cars would not be marked CB&Q is a point well taken, so the second hand side frames must have come from one of these groups of gons. There is a picture with a legible weight date from the mid thirties of one of the Soo Line boxcars still with its original Bettendorf trucks, and interestingly, one truck has has a forged repair strap applied, which shows that reports that these side frames were prone to crack are true. The rest of the photos I've found are either builders photos or were taken post war, and by then they had Andrews trucks. I was hoping for an easy way to determine when the trucks were changed. There were still over 1500 of these cars listed in the January 1953 ORER, a number that drops to 109 by October of 1954. The later groups of "sawtooth cars" soldiered on for another ten years.

I believe the Soo society now has the freightcar card file in their archives; maybe after I retire I'll spend some time going through it one card at a time and find the real answer.

Dennis Storzek