Re: "Machinist Tools For Modeling, Part 1 - Hand Tools" Clinic ar rent NERPM

Dennis Storzek

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 10:34 AM, Charles Peck wrote:
Every measuring tool we used had to be traceable back to the
Bureau of Standards.  Our calibration people had no way to connect software to any official standard.
Vernier calipers were OK.
I thought I was hearing the ghost of Larry Jackman. Nobody in this hobby needs accuracy beyond what is achievable with a decent quality digital caliper, which, by the way, are certifiable by a calibration shop. The main reason for choosing a dial or digital caliper is reduction of errors; it is considerably easier to misread a vernier scale, or screw up the mental math than it is to misread a dial, especially as our eyes get older, and dial calipers still require reading the marks on the slide and adding that to what is shown on the dial. Digitals present the actual number in a format that is hard to misinterpret. If greater accuracy is needed, the micrometer is the tool of choice, of course, those are available in digital version these days too.

Dennis Storzek