Re: Standard Steel Freight Cars - Experiment

al.kresse <water.kresse@...>

Bob,

I could NOT find a link on your Index page.

Al Kresse

On June 7, 2019 at 7:04 PM Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net> wrote:

Many of you know me - I am Bob Webber, current Curator of the Pullman
Library in Beautiful Downtown Union, IL. Data on our Library can be
found on the IRM web site:
https://www.irm.org/pullmanlibrary/

MANY years ago, I created a "shadow" web site because we could not
get ANYTHING changed, posted or deleted on the official one - hence
the link at the bottom.

For years people have been asking if we can provide a list of all the
drawings we had. We could not - there simply is no index.

On the other hand, we have a few drawings scanned. In one particular
stretch - basically in 1928-1930 - we've been busily scanning
drawings. So now there is about 1% scanned, or about 2800 drawings.
But they give a fairly good cross section of types of drawings in
these years. (Note, these years are encompassed by drawings from
about SS-53000 to SS-55000) .

The list that will be linked in this e-mail is an experiment and a
call for comments. Note that this list is just that - drawing number
& caption. No sample drawings, no other information.

We know there are errors, typos, and such - bound to be after some
50,000 drawings of all types have been scanned & metadata
added. Too, the roughly 15 years that is represented on our part was
a learnign curve as we had to learn what was important, how to use
the software, etc.

I'll leave off the "FAQ" I did on another list - if there are
comments, questions, hate mail, etc. remember one thing. DO NOT
CALL. The Library's phone system is about as stable as a rat in a
meth lab. Sometimes we get it, and it works beautifully (usually for
spam phone calls) customer phone calls, not so much. Use the IO,
Comcast or the Pullman Library's gmail account irmpulllib&gm***.c**
(asterisks to be replaced by real stuff by you, the
reader). Note. DO NOT USE the IRM E-mail that has been set up
because...you guessed it - that too is hosed. At times well over
the limit set, at other times I simply do not get the mail, and at
other times, it forwards only half of it. So...there is that (or not).

Anyway...here is a slightly upgraded version of the freight car list
(heh) for your perusal - I can answer questions as will others - you
likely should keep the more personal, attacking and/or specific
questions to the above accounts and not litter the list.

https://www.irm.org/pullmanlibrary/

(The list can be found almost at the bottom of this index - which otw
has not been updated since ..well...a long time)

Bob Webber