New Measuring Tool

Bill Welch

As I noted recently Ryan Mendell's "Machinist Hand Tools Clinic: Part One" can be expensive‚ LOL. Reminder he will be doing at Lisle/Chicagoland nest.

I decided to go with a Mitutoyo Digital caliper and purchased it from Amazon on Friday and it was here on Saturday. My decision was based mainly on the fact that I am collaborating on designing a new resin kit and on my last collaboration—the Yarmouth tank car—my confidence reading my dial caliper was so low I sent photos of what the dial said to my collaborator in Germany. This time my collaborator has the very same Mitutoyo Digital caliper and I can just read what the litt
le screen says and send it to him. To me being confident of what I am doing is worth the price. Much discussion around the fact that the Mitutoyo calipers are counterfeited and can be found for $30 so I was careful in looking at the details and specs. Returns are easy with Amazon and I was confident I was getting the real thing. The photos show what the packaging looks like. The brown sheet of paper in the factory wrapping of the caliper is imbedded with a rust inhibiter and obviously the battery comes separate. The storage case is robust and it is easy to tell which side is up.

Bill Welch