Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Coil steel loads

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

I have a set of coils in my 29' WP gondola which IIRC were made by Walthers. They seem to be plastic, but are very heavy and probably contain a metal core. Nice weight for the car. I made wooden cradles to hold the coils. Eight in sets of four over each truck is a full load for the 29' cars, but the 52' cars carried pretty much the same.

I also made a set of "steel" coil racks, but these are at the moment unused.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 6/13/19 9:45 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:
Bill;

I cut aluminum cans with good scissors. I generally sand the edges with fine sandpaper to eliminate any fuzz. I mark the inside of the can with a fine marker, then cut along the line.  You can even make coils with good paper wound around a wooden dowel.

I also have resin molds I made from masters that I use for my many hot coil loads for gons.

Elden Gatwood