Re: this excellent view of AGS 10804 precursor to SU class

gary laakso

The bolsters are single “I” beams in the picture and double on the later Southern cars.

Gary Laakso

On Jun 13, 2019, at 5:13 PM, Ray Breyer via Groups.Io <rtbsvrr69@...> wrote:

More like 1916:
"SU" just means "steel underframe", and isn't really a Southern Ry. car designation (from what I can tell, they didn't have any, just engineering drawing designations which were far longer that two characters). And car 150555 here matches the later 1920s cars within a couple of inches (except inside dimensions, of course).

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Thursday, June 13, 2019, 4:05:33 PM CDT, gary laakso <vasa0vasa@...> wrote:

It appears to be a very late predecessor of the Southern SU boxcar, whose construction started in 1922.  A great find, Claus.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock