Re: Paint Scheme for Swift 6700 Series Reefers

Nelson Moyer

I’ll look at the RMJ and MR articles. I’ve learned not to trust model photos, as even some cars in Sunshine instructions and PDSs are built and/ or painted wrong, e.g. cross bearers and/or cross ties positioned wrong and silver roof on reefers here builder’s photos were airbrushed. Model photos in old publication are particularly unreliable as little prototype information might be available when they were built. Color me skeptic.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Townsend via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2019 2:02 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Paint Scheme for Swift 6700 Series Reefers

The Feb 1993 RMJ has color photos of models built from these kits, that might answer your questions. I have only a low-res scan and can't tell. In the Oct 1953 MR Paul Larsen has an article on building a Swift reefer in the red scheme from a different number series. He had the prototype car in front of him. He said the sill steps and underframe were black. Sides and ends red, except under the door, where black was uses. He said nothing about a different color for the end sill. Looking at other color photos of other red Swift cars (all from other number series), the sill steps under the doors are always black. At the ends of the sides, the sill steps appear to vary, with red used if the sides are steel, and sometimes red, sometimes black if the sides are wood (black especially if these is a black metal plate above the step - looks like a wrap-around from the end sill). The end sills also appear to be black when that plate is on the sides. Sometimes they appear to be black even without that plate, but usually red. In many cases, heavy weathering makes color determinations difficult, with everything in question just a dirty gray. Suggested solution: weather.

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR