Re: Paint Scheme for Swift 6700 Series Reefers

Nelson Moyer

Sunshine instructions for the Swift 6700 series in the yellow banner scheme suggest chrome yellow (very bright) or a Scalecoat II mix (1 part reefer orange and 5 parts reefer yellow), but that is way to orange and looks nothing like chrome yellow so go figure! I know this because I’m building two of these kits except in the red scheme. Martin also recommended that same Scalecoat II mix for the NRC and MDT reefers, which I’m also building, and there he called it squash yellow and pumpkin yellow, but it’s too orange for squash (except butternut maybe) and looks more like the inside of a pumpkin. Maybe your best bet is to color match the yellow-orange color on Rapido’s recent Swift reefers. I think they got it right. You can get that color by starting with the 1 to 5 Scalecoat II mix and adding more yellow until you get the color match. I have some of the Rapido reefers in the Swift banner scheme, and they’re a light orange – definitely not straight reefer yellow and lighter than Martin’s 1 to 5 pumpkin orange mix.

Nelson Moyer