Re: Furniture & Woodenware Boxcar

Roger Robar

Thanks Claus Schlund for your reply, that is exactly the photo I was referring to.  …..  Roger Robar

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2019 9:14 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Furniture & Woodenware Boxcar

Hi Roger and List Members,

The photo is likely of car MENASHA 214 which can be seen in RMJ Jul 1989 pg 46. This is available on TRAINLIFE...

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2019 8:17 AM

Somewhere in my files I have a photo of a very similar Menasha car that is a 50’ car.   ……..  Roger Robar

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dennis Storzek
Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2019 8:27 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 12:07 PM, Charlie Vlk wrote:

Google is your friend….

I think this Wikipedia definition of “treen” that comes up in a search for “woodenware” is likely close to the intent on the car since furniture is clearly intended to be separate:

Charlie, I disagree. Here is all the definition of "woodenware" as it pertains to freightcars that you need. What it has in common with furniture is it won't "nest" so is light in weight for it's volume, necessitating an oversize freightcar. Carriages were another commodity that needed oversize cars, as were automobiles when they came along, and eventually lent their mane to the oversize cars.

Dennis Storzek

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.