New Kadee Ordering Policies

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Good Friends,

I've been reading through the Kadee newsletter that came with my latest pre-ordered freight car, and found they have introduced some new policies that will affect ordering in the future.

Kadee has announced that their pre-order program will end on 1 December 2019. From then on all RTR cars will be released in limited quantities. Availability will be announced via an electronic newsletter, and there will be no prior announcements.

Instead of prior orders, Kadee is opening a "standing order" program for which cars will be automatically sent and billed to a subscriber's account: https://kadee.com/standingorder.htm . Each subscriber will provide Kadee a profile of their preferences, and will have five days after the email newsletter is sent to decline (or increase) the monthly purchase.
I note that one can receive the newsletter without joining the subscription program (I did, as I don't buy many cars these days). Apparently any excess cars will be sold on a 1st come, 1st serve basis to non-standing order newsletter subscribers until stock is gone.

How this will affect the ability of our dwindling number local hobby dealers to buy and stock Kadee freight cars is not explained. That is likely covered by some separate program announced just to dealers.

O.K. I know we aren't supposed to criticize a manufacturer's business practices in this group, so I'm not, and hope the thread I'm launching here doesn't get out of hand. I'm just calling this to everyone's attention, and you can decide for yourselves whether you want to do business this way. It will be interesting to see if this is a success for Kadee. If so, we may well see other manufacturers adopt this method.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff