Re: Poultry Car

Lester Breuer

Ed Bommer wrote, “I see the car is also stenciled “SAMPLE” above the door.”  Kristin Drummler in her presentation at Chicagoland “Shipping Live Poultry and the Live Poultry Car” stated, “Cars were given individual names. Some were named for places, some for fowl, and others named for individuals who had made an impact on the company. (i.e.: San Francisco, Magpie, and Mudd)”.
‘My research on the car name has produced names of birds as Magpie, places as parks, and individuals.  The names on the cars were not those of attendants riding in the cars caring for the poultry heading for markets.
Lester Breuer