Re: Soo Line Box Car 45398

Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...>

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 12:11 PM, O Fenton Wells wrote:
Nice looking cars Lester, when did the SOO go to the large block lettering?
Not to steal Lester's thunder on a very nice model, but to answer your question, very late 1951. The model has a 10-51 NEW date, and I know the art was prepared from a photo. The "billboard" SOO LINE went through three iterations in very rapid succession; this scheme with the SOO and LINE close to the door was the first, followed by spreading them out for better visual balance, but still high on the car side, followed by moving the lettering down so it would line up with the same scheme applied to the earlier 10'-0" and 9'-4" IH cars when they were eventually repainted. Lester's last pointer to his blog had a link to a photo of the second iteration, and it had an 11-51 NEW date. I don't think anyone has ever been able to compile a list of all the car numbers for each version, this was one continuous building program at North Fond du Lac, but the output was assigned to either the Soo, or subsidiary Wisconsin Central seemingly at random, since I believe there are known examples of all three iterations in both number series. Anyway, once the lettering was in the lower spread out position it stayed that way, but about 1957 the style of the S was changed to have a horizontal, rather than angled, center bar.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure.

Dennis StorzekĀ