Re: Photo: Metal Shield On PFE Reefer

steve_wintner

True, it probably was 1/16 or something. But sometimes things need a little exaggeration to "look right", especially under a coat of paint and weathering. A little.

I've tried using thin brass, thin styrene, and paper stiffened with CA to represent varies bit n bob's that were likely 1/4 or less in real life. I feel .010 styrene is a bit much.

Other modellers get very excited about the boards on a boxcar being represented by grooves, or real woods grain being out of scale (and they do have a point, sometimes).

I'm happy with how that thin brass turned out in that case - I didn't like the idea at first but gave it a try. Your mileage may vary of course.