Re: Handbrakes

Tim O'Connor

Dennis I'd really like to see the reduction gearing you're describing. I've never
seen an example of that. They used a pawl and ratchet but that's not a gear box -
it gives no mechanical leverage.

Tim O'

On 7/7/2019 8:43 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
On Sun, Jul 7, 2019 at 04:08 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
?? these were around since the 1930's if not earlier
Yes, the 1931 CBC identifies that as a Klasing Safety Handbrake, Wheel Type. But the point is, it's obvious, with that large gear housing at the eave line, it won't be mistaken for the old time 'stem winders'. It also uses a chain, rod and bell crank rather than a simple brake staff. My point was a reasonable number of vertical staff hand brakes also used reduction gearing, but the gearing was almost hid under the end sill.

Dennis Storzek

Sterling, Massachusetts