Re: Photo: Santa Fe Gondola

charles slater

Tim the Santa Fe had many classes of drop end gondolas in all different lengths. The type end I am talking about is, when looking straight at the cars drop end the re-enforcement on each side has two angles that come to a point, like an elbow, which Santa Fe only built onto the Ga-91 and Ga-103 class cars. And yes both the Ga-91 and Ga-103 were built with plain bearing trucks ( see page 165 in Richard Hendrickson's book "Santa Fe Open Top Cars" Vol.7 for a Builders photo of a Ga-103 Gondola. Of course most of the surviving cars were changed to roller bearing trucks in the 1970's and 80's.
Charlie Slater

Sent from Outlook

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Sent: Sunday, July 7, 2019 10:12 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Santa Fe Gondola

Charlie, what type of end do you mean? Drop ends? There were certainly more classes
of Santa Fe gondolas with drop ends, than just two. At first I thought it could be a
Ga-103 but I wondered if the plain bearing trucks would have been applied in 1958 to
a brand new mill gondola. The only photo I have of one shows roller bearing trucks.

Tim O'Connor

On 7/7/2019 12:49 PM, charles slater wrote:

Assuming that is a Santa Fe gondola, it would be either a Ga-91 class car numbered 168400-168549 built in 1955 by Santa Fe or a Ga-103 class car numbered 168150-168399 also built be Santa Fe in 1958. It would be nice if there was a car number for the car. Those are the only two classes of mill gondolas with that type of ends.
Charlie Slater

Sent from Outlook

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb@...>
Sent: Saturday, July 6, 2019 11:22 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Santa Fe Gondola

Photo: Santa Fe Gondola

Fairly good interior shot of unidentified drop-end gondola from the Kansas State Historical Society taken in 1950:

https://www.kansasmemory.org/item/50620

Click on the photo to enlarge it.

Bob Chaparro

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.